donderdag 12 maart 2009

The Chronicles of Narnia

In the genre of fantasy genre there are some series you have to read if you are a fan. for example: The Lord of the Rings from J.R.R. Tolkien or Harry Potter from J.K. Rowling. An other one that belongs to this list is The Chronicles of Narnia, written bij C.S. Lewis.

The Chronicles of Narnia include these seven books:
- The Magician's Nephew
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- The Horse and His Boy
- Prince Caspian
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- The Silver Chair
- The Last Battle

In 2005 the book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was made into a film and because of this I bought a book with all the Narnia books in it in 2006. It was a big one, counting 1184 pages. In the first summer I've read the first three books and then I layed the book aside till the end of 2008. And I read the lost page some week ago.

At first I wanted to write a blogpost for every book. But I didn't get to that, so that's why I'm only writing this general post.

Every book tells a story of an adventure that's placed in a world named Narnia. A world where all sorts of mythical creatures live and where it's normal that animals speak and are bigger than the ones here on earth. Beside this all, Narnia is sometimes connected with our world and then it is possible to get to this Narnia. But only if you are a child and only three times. This means that, as a reader, you don't follow the same earthly children. But the different earth children are connected with each other. But I'm not gonna tell you how, for that you'll have to read the books yourself.

The books on there own aren't that big. Between the 150 and 200 pages. They are easy to read because they fit into the category child-fantasy.

As a Christian I noticed that the books had some Christian influence. Somebody who doesn't know anything about the Christian believe will not see this... but I can understand that someone who does can have a negative feeling about the books. But I didn't mind the influence at all.
There are also people who have the meaning that the books are patronizing females. Personally I don't have that meaning. I think the female characters are very strong and brave. But, they are sometime to sweet and nice.

I liked the world Lewis created and loved to read it. It's such a wonderful place. The following up of the books, in the order that I've named them here above, fits very nice. The end of the last book is a bit of sad. But it round it all off.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten